Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I read a book called "Who Cares" by David B. Schwartz. He talks of the healing powers of human connections and support for people with disabilities. Since I am a sociology major I was really interested in this somewhat hard to read text, it would make a great reading for a college sociology class. It illustrates optimistic stories of people who were once isolated now being healthier and happier because they have friends. It's such a simple concept. Society ruins things and makes it so involved and ultimately things get worse instead of better. I had an attendant who "Took care of me" in public school. That did so much damage to me for decades after. I had no idea how to relate to people cause I had no one my age in my life. If only someone like David could have seen this, recognized it, and facilitated a small friendship circle! I would love to meet him and talk with him further.

No comments:

Post a Comment