Friday, February 8, 2013

One can't have a disability and not be a self- advocate, there's just sooooo much unjustice and people have no problem treating you condescendingly. I've been doing this forever and I think nothing of it. It offends people because it come off too strongly and looks like I am a very nasty person. However, if given the option most professionals will take the easy way out and do the least possible job as slowly as possible. My problem is finding the balance because I often seem to have just 1 gear. It makes me undesirable to other people especially those with disabilites cause they're used to being treated poorly and staff is used to "the compiant client." It is worth it though because you are more likely to be respected but it's hard when you know more than the decision makers and they know that you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment